Novkabel was founded in 1921. as a subsidiary of a Budapest-based “Felten Guillame” factory. It officially stared with the production in 1922. At its beginnings, the production was mostly artisan. Simple cables were produced by only 14 workers.

During the early 1930s, the Novkabel becomes a joint stock company. During this period, the company experienced a continual development followed by substantial investments, when Novkabel was the only cable producer in the country.

After the war, the Company played an important role in the country’s reconstruction. As of 1947. production per annum was four folded compared to the prewar production.

During the 1950s, the Company is going through a constant development and growth.

During the late 1960s, the Company’s production facilities were moved to a new 19.5 ha location in the industrial zone of Novi Sad.

During the 1970s, new production lines were developed – shipping cables, copper capilar tubes as well as telecommunication cables.

During the 1980s, the factory is going through an important development and expansion, followed by production and sales growth. The Company has introduced new production lines – electronics cables, diamante matrix production, rubber mixtures and PVC granulates middle-voltage cables, as well as optical cables. 
Wooden packaging factory “Javor”, Kisac and “Masinoremont” - machines, tools and appliances factory were founded and became an integral part of the Company.

The 1990s represent a period of substantial social changes in the country. In 1989. Novkabel becomes a socially owned company, and as of 1991. the Company is organized as a holding company. Novkabel became a joint stock company in 1998.

As of February 2009. Novkabel is a member of Cyprus-based East Point Holdings Ltd.